Fashion Week under fire

Oxford Fashion Week 2011 kicked off on Monday amidst complaints from models and the production team.

One team member, who wished to remain anonymous, described how she had suggested partnering OFW with eating disorder charity BEAT, but was told that it would be too much effort” to ensure that none of the models had problems of this kind. 

A model in OFW 2009 told Cherwell, I was exploited…because at the time I was quite seriously ill. I think a number of the other girls involved were. Looking back, there’s no way [the organisers] could not have realised.”

However, many models involved in OFW were positive about their experiences. Model Becky Knott said, “I’ve found it really well organised, and we’ve been treated well”.

In what has been seen as an effort to combat negative images of the fashion industry OFW is linked with Models for Diversity. One model said, “There’s no discrimination. They made an effort to include people of all different sizes.”

OFW’s Press Officer Alyx Barker commented, “After watching the lingerie show I was really pleased with the range of models used. It was great to see some normal sized models looking fantastic and healthy.”

However some dissatisfied volunteers even have gone so far as to quit OFW altogether. One described the experience as “massively stressful”, and explained that she had been spending up to seven hours a day on OFW, even though producer and founder Carl Anglim knew the time pressures already facing students. 

When contacted by Cherwell, Anglim refused to comment.

In an email to the OFW team, Anglim said, “Oxford Fashion Week demands a limitless amount of time from each of you. I promise you that those who have used this opportunity to test themselves will be reaping the long term benefits.”

Ticket prices have also been criticised. The Couture Show this year cost £30 per person and prices have been similarly high since OFW’s conception. However, the 2009 annual return for Oxford Fashion Limited, the company which runs OFW, and of which Anglim is a director, shows a net loss of £7,670.

Anglim reportedly told a member of the production team that he didn’t expect to break even this year either. One OFW team member said that scheduling it at the same time as Paris Fashion Week had led to a number of logistical problems. 

“The champagne is still in Champagne,” she added.

Another volunteer told Cherwell, “OFW has been over-sold to partners. Despite attempts to make OFW open…budget restraints mean that basic marketing activities cannot take place.”

He did add, having seen the Couture Show, that “Despite these issues the team have put together something really special. I was astounded at the level of production.”

Sponsors of OFW were also positive about their involvement. Richard Rosser, of B4 Business Magazine, said that they were proud to be a media sponsor. He said, “What they’ve delivered has been absolutely fantastic. They did what they promised and more.”

Anglim told Vogue.com in February, “Oxford is a fantastic city and it is madness that there was no major fashion festival before we created Oxford Fashion Week in 2009.”