Duchess of Cambridge visits Oxford

On Tuesday, the Duchess of Cambridge visited two schools in Oxford in her role as patron of charity The Art Room.

She was greeted by hundreds of people, who had lined the streets in anticipation of her arrival.

The Duchess, who read History of Art as an undergraduate, first visited Rose Hill Primary School, where more than half of the children have special needs. She assisted pupils and staff in an art therapy session in The Art Room before visiting the Oxford Spires Academy, where the entire school filed outside to greet her with flags and banners.

Lisa Hancock, The Art Room manager at Rose Hill, commented, ‘It was a really delightful lesson. Miss Catherine, as we called her in the lesson, was delightful.’

Sue Mortimer, Head Teacher at the Spires Academy, said, “When people think of Oxford they think of the dreaming spires, but every city has its disadvantaged areas and this is one of them.’

The Art Room is an Oxford-based charity aimed at 5-16 year olds who have emotional or behavioural difficulties. The charity offers art therapy to boost self-esteem and confidence.

University College undergraduate and Kate Middleton-enthusiast David Todd commented, “I was extremely excited to hear that Kate was in the vicinity. I thought her woolen shirt-dress was very chic – no wonder it sold out online just minutes after Kate appeared in it.’