Behind the Scenes: The Stream

When attempting to promote and stage the arts in Oxford, I learnt long ago that it is essential to come up with a different idea, to find the niche that is missing in so vast and colourful an artistic scene. The sheer variety of arts that Oxford University is host to is staggering, as no one who visited the most recent Freshers’ Fair needs reminding. We’re absolutely spoilt by the amount of people who for so long have nurtured their talents in so many different fields.

However until now, in my opinion, there has been no convenient place to mix these varied forms together, and to celebrate the sheer variety present. The Stream project we are pioneering aims to do just this; students can turn up, hear some of the university’s best actors reciting some poetry, then perhaps hear some of the finest choral singers present a piece of music, all based around a similar theme. To add to the mix, we hope to involve dancers, comedians, live bands… if it’s in the university we’d like to include it!

In order to emphasise our integration of the university, we have decided to stage our four weeks in different college chapels, moving around in order for students to visit the many beautiful chapels that our colleges offer. If the college allows, this also provides the opportunity to use the college bar at each place to socialise, another key part of The Stream’s appeal! By keeping each night only half an hour in length we hope to engage as wide an audience as possible. There will really be something here for everyone, and you never know, you might discover an exciting new art form you never knew existed.

I’ve been lucky enough to work with a fantastic core team of friends who’ve put lots of effort into making this exciting idea a reality. Coming from a choral music background, for me it’s been a delight to already learn about the different acts we are hoping to have to perform. With any event like this, there always comes the scary moment when we hand our hard work over to the audience, but I’m confident that with your help, this can be an event that can continue to flourish in the years to come!