View From A Blue: Max Denning

Could you introduce OUSSC for those who aren’t aware of it?
OUSSC is the university Ski and Snowboard club. It is often confused with Varsity Trip but we are a separate club. Of course, we all go on the Varsity Trip, compete and enjoy Val Thorens but we also organise a number of other trips throughout the year including cross-country skiing, ski touring, summer race training, attending the university championships and of course weekly training a bit closer to home.

How does the varsity competition itself work? Is this regarded as the main event in the skiing calendar?

The varsity competition has two events: a slalom and giant slalom. Each event is made up of two runs. Giant slalom is faster and has flagged gates whereas slalom is slower and more turny with single flexible gates. The most important thing in racing is speed preservation and generation.  For both races, each team sends down a team of 6 skiers, alternating with Cambridge. As with any Oxbridge sport varsity is the biggest event on our calendar as nothing is more important than to ‘FTT’. Unfortunately as the Varsity Trip takes place in one of the first weeks that ski resorts are open, this would cut our season rather short, so we try to get out and do some other events as well!

Is it all about racing? If people want to get involved do they have to have been racing for years to have a hope of making the team?

No, as with Varsity Trip, although there is a strong racing component, there is also a strong social side to the club with a number of socials and holidays for both the seasoned pro and beginner alike. There are no joining requirements and we welcome everyone. Beginners may want to get in a couple of lessons before heading to the slopes at Milton Keynes whereas the Blues may simply want to hone their skills prior to the varsity races. The annual cuppers event has already occurred this year, in fact around 30 non-regular team skiers attended to enjoy the slopes of Milton Keynes with their friends.

Is there a lot of pressure on those varsity races? I imagine it’s very competitive…

Losing is not an option. The varsity ski race is the oldest annual ski race in the world.

Could you describe a little more the mental process you go through leading up to and during a race? Is there a conflict between the individual nature of the racing and the team element?

In many individual sports, including skiing, the most important thing is to finish a race as fast as possible, in others it is to jump as high or as far as possible etc. The aspect that makes the Blues ski racing more interesting is that only the top 4 times count towards the team score and for a time to count an individual needs to make it through 2 runs without falling, crashing or being disqualified. This is harder than it sounds. When you are going for it there is a surprisingly high crash rate – meaning that not only is there pressure to ski fast but also to be consistent/reliable/safe, a balance which few skiers achieve. It has been the case in many blues races that the first 2 skiers out of the start gate have fallen, leaving a lot of pressure on the remaining skiers to finish. 

Other than that, where and who do you race?

This year we are hoping to have an exhibition race against a french university based in lyon. After shoeing the tabs and the frogs we will then set our sites on the university championships over the easter vac.

How are blues awarded in skiing? How prestigious are they?

It is a discretionary full blue sport, meaning half blues are awarded to everyone on the 1st VI. To earn a full blue, you will have to have a top 5 finish at BUSC (the university championships). Alternatively you have to have skied to around 130 FIS (federation internationale du ski) ranking points, the equivalent of national team standard for an 16-20 year old.

What does training involve?
Everyone on the first team will have been ski racing long before they got to university. For some this means a season on their gap yah when they taught part time and trained part time, for others it simply meant ‘sacrificing’ every christmas and easter holiday to go and train since the age of 13. Although skiing frequently is not the worst eventuality in most peoples minds it is worth pointing out that the racers will have been up most mornings at first light and will have to go out wind, rain or snow with little vin chaud to blunt the cold. It is important to maintain leg strength so the best skiers all do a secondary sport when in england to maintain fitness. In addition to fitness sessions, certain members of the team do cycling and others (sadly) row.