Top 20 Tracks of 2013

We’ve already taken you through the villains of 2013 – but it’s also been a good year for music. Here we take you through the best songs of the year.

20. BugattiAce Hood ft. Future and Rick Ross

19. Bashful Kwes

18. Freak, Go HomeDarkside

17. MisunderstoodoOoOO

16. Badman CityKahn ft Flowdan

15. Aleph Gesaffelstein

14. Harm in ChangeToro Y Moi

13. Grammy (Soulja Boy Cover)Purity Ring

12. AerialFour Tet

11. No Doubt Lil Silva ft Rosie Lowe

10. Organ Eternal – These New Puritans

TNP’s move toward the orchestral is embodied in this majestically understated number.

9. Sosa(d) – Lil Cloud x Druture

Chief Keef’s slurred threats moulded into a thing of ambient beauty.

8. The Owls – Felicia Atkinson

Drone so delicate and exploratory it’s almost jazz. Like a feminine Fuck Buttons.

7. Boring Angel – Oneohtrix Point Never

A simple, yet kaleidoscopically beautiful, progression.

6. High Street – Blood Orange ft Skepta

A wistful paean to London meandering in and out of a ghostly beat like a preoccupied youth wandering through the backstreets of Tottenham after dark.

5. Semena Mertvykh – Boards of Canada

At the last, Boards of Canada’s much-heralded LP ‘Tomorrow’s Harvest’ descends into understated oblivion.

4. The Mahdi – Underachievers

For all the noise around Chance the Rapper, there was no better hip-hop made in 2013 than this- conscious, gorgeously produced and with flows potent enough to make grown men weep. ‘We be that Elevated Mafia.’

3. Blackpool Late Eighties – James Holden

Holden’s 2013 LP ‘The Inheritors’ was like the malformed brother of Oneohtrix Point Never’s more widely acclaimed ‘R Plus 7’, an analogue exploration of the weird pathways of the human mind. Blackpool is a rare moment of beauty amidst the fractal insanity.

2. Enter Paradise – Vatican Shadow

Simultaneously guttural and apocalyptic.

1. Niggaz Dying – Fat Trel

If Chief Keef read Nietzsche, he might produce something like the auto-tuned nihilism of Niggaz Dying. The cavernous production leaves plenty of space for the lyrics to have full impact as a chilling rebuttal to those who think hip-hop exclusively glorifies violence. ‘They shooting for nothing. They shooting to kill.’

and…

Biggest disappointment: Cyril Hahn- Perfect Form

In many ways, 2013 was the RnB bootleg wunderkid’s year, as his star continued its meteoric rise in a wild collision of astronomical metaphors. But could he translate his ethereal house template to a proper solo release and chart success? No. The result was sickly sweet, anodyne and immediately forgettable, leaving the faltering deep house revival still searching for a figurehead with more musical personality than Ben Pearce, that guy from Disclosure or that other guy from Disclosure.