Glastonbury 2014: Highlights & Playlist

Robert Plant – With rumours of Jimmy Page on-site, I was expecting big things from this set. Despite the great sideman not making an appearance I was far from disappointed. As the Led Zep frontman lifted the left edge of his top lip into a wry smile the place erupted. 9/10

The English National Ballet – I know what you’re thinking, but seriously this was incredible. On the 100th anniversary of the First World War the group performed a new piece set around the recounted memories of those who lost their loved ones. It was incredibly moving, and, with a splitting hangover at 11.30 on the Sunday morning, it was well worth getting up for. I’ve never heard the Pyramid stage so quiet. Close to tears. 7/10

Imagine Dragons – I was working during this act and was forced to watch, thinking I would hate it. The band turned up covered in designer mud with the lead guitarist clutching a solid gold axe – rock n’ roll. Thumping tunes, great stage presence but shame about the fanbase. 7/10

London Sinfonietta with Jonny Greenwood – I stumbled across this by mistake, having gone to the surprise set on the ‘Other’ stage and been disappointed by the Kaiser Chiefs. I’m not usually a fan of rockstar / orchestra collaborations – the latter often being consigned to sustained string sounds which may seem profound but are incredibly boring. This, on the other hand, was fantastic: Greenwood appears to have recently rediscovered himself as a successful film scorer whilst that Oxford side-project, Radiohead, are on a break. The Sinfonietta played some Steve Reich too – this offered the perfect vibe to facilitate stumbling into a happy afternoon. 8/10

The Rum Shack – I’ve got to admit, I’m not entirely sure who or what was playing at this one. The DJ, however, was the spitting image of Robin Williams. The Rum Shack itself is an incredible venue: set in a mock-Aztec style, you can dance under the stars with the open-top roof and awesome sound system. A cracking night (what I can remember of it) and a cracking end to Glasto. 10/10