The Age of Photoshop?

Daniel Curtis laments the decline of the quality film poster, but sees many reasons to be optimistic for the future

As time has gone by, much of the artistry of cinema has been lost. Bigger budgets and more sophisticated CGI leave films artistically lacking, as they renounce stop motion and animatronics. But perhaps the greatest casualty of cinematic ‘progress’ has been off the screen: the hallowed ink of the movie poster.

While Old Hollywood’s shock tactics and sexism in prints such as that for King Kong leave a sour taste in the mouth, the unique fusion of paint and celluloid was revolutionised by the work of a proliferation of visionaries, such as John Alvin (Blade Runner) and Drew Struzan (Harry Potter, Star Wars and Indiana Jones). Indeed, it is Struzan’s peer, Bob Peak, whose lean, efficient panels are often credited with inventing the modern poster. His artwork for Superman and Apocalypse Now catalysed not only two of the most successful films of all time, but also the age of Hollywood as we know it.

It is thus even more tragic that New Hollywood has left this golden age of art behind. In what can only be described as the ‘Photoshop era’, hand-drawn art has been replaced by lazy click-and-drag promo shots, some of which are ‘motion posters’ to hide their artistic bankruptcy. Prime offenders Takers, X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine evoke GCSE IT projects, not legitimate art.

Yet as with any cinematic trend, it must one day die out. For the preservation of a powerful artistic medium, and the marriage of two wonderfully intertwined forms, we can only hope that Hollywood re-embraces its glorious artistic history, and leaves its folly behind.

20th Century Fox
20th Century Fox

There is, thankfully, some hope: it was heartening to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ flawless advertising campaign deliver awe-inspiring theatrical and teaser posters which actually brought Struzan temporarily out of retirement. Moreover, the art for this year’s 10 Cloverfield Lane is both enigmatic and haunting while, most recently, the adaptation of Assassin’s Creed scheduled for December has unleashed a glorious teaser print, overflowing with light, wonder and religiosity.

With this influx of new posters rekindling the goose bumps of old, maybe finally we are returning to posters worthy of being hung on children’s walls. We must inspire the next generation – of film-makers, yes – but also of artists.