More than a quarter of Oxford students don’t go clubbing

C+ investigation reveals new details about Oxford clubbing culture

More than quarter of students do not go out clubbing in Oxford, a C+ investigation has found.

Of the 655 students surveyed, 26 per cent reported that they did not go out each week, and across the University the average number of nights out per week was less than two.

When asked whether or not Oxford has a problematic drinking culture, only 21.1 per cent of respondents agreed.

The college which averaged the most nights out was Exeter, at 1.7 nights out per week. Keble and Brasenose took joint second place with 1.5 nights out, while the rest of the colleges responding were below this figure.

An Exeter Entz rep told Cherwell: “We’re just a bunch of loose blokes who put them away on a night out”.

The College recently made headlines, after students commenting on public Facebook groups alleged to take ketamine.

In addition, 24.5 per cent of Exeter students responding to the survey reported having taken drugs in a club in Oxford.

Merton, despite its reputation of being ‘where fun goes to die’, did not claim the bottom spot for average number of nights out per week. Instead, Merton students’ nightlife seems more in line with that of St Hugh’s, St Hilda’s, Balliol, and Corpus Christi. These colleges all averaged between 1.1 and 1.2 nights out per week.

The college with the least prolific clubbing culture was Mansfield, which averaged less than one night out per week.

JCR President Joe Inwood said he didn’t “recognise” the figures, adding: “I can only presume we were all too busy clubbing to answer the survey.”

When comparing these results to each college’s placement on the Norrington Table, there is a slight positive correlation between number of nights out per week and a higher Norrington Table ranking. This would suggest that, on average, going out more frequently can only be good for students’ results.