Three Alternatives to Popcorn

Malak Khalil reflects on the best snacking options to pair with a film

ChocoLOTS

The varieties are endless: the most appropriate of consumables if classics like Chocolat or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are on your viewing agenda. Smaller nibbles and sharing bags are often the way to go: Maltesers, Minstrels, and M&Ms tend to be the most popular options. Life can often seem like a box of chocolates: particularly if you choose Revels, as you really never know what you’re gonna get.

Grapes

In defence of this fruity option, grapes provide a source of both nutrition and the optimal sweet and crunchy balance! Clean up your diet after a classic post-club Hassan’s; a movie marathon with a punnet of seedless in hand is sure to be the perfect hangover cure. Steinbeck’s Grapes of Wrath pairs pretty aptly with this munchable, although a slightly more light-hearted and fool-proof option might be The Breakfast Club.

Chips and Dip

A combo as iconic as Netflix and chill, the beauty in this snacking option is its versatility. Opt for the humble tortilla chip with an accompaniment of salsa, or if you’re feeling decadent, splurge on a packet of Popchips, but don’t forget to grab some guac and hummus to pair. If you’re in the mood for something sweeter maybe give Oreos and peanut butter a go, it’s perfect when watching The Parent Trap. Lindsey Lohan would be proud.