The Oxford Living Wage Campaign have called on the University to introduce the Oxford Living Wage, as Oxford City Council announces it will introduce a higher minimum wage for its employees.

The Council will pay its staff a minimum of £10.02 an hour from April 2019.

The Oxford Living Wage is set at 95% of the London Living Wage, as calculated by the Living Wage Foundation, to reflect the high costs of living in Oxford.

The council’s announcement has led to renewed calls for the University to adopt the measure.

Chair of the Oxford SU Living Wage Campaign, Rebecca Durkin, told Cherwell: “The Living Wage Foundation’s National Living Wage simply isn’t enough in an Oxford context, and it’s unacceptable that some employers (including colleges) continue to only pay the government’s statutory minimum wage.

“We hope that the university and its colleges will follow the City Council’s lead and introduce the Oxford Living Wage for all staff.”

In February, Cherwell revealed that no Oxford colleges pay staff the Oxford Living Wage. Two permanent private halls, Blackfriars College and Campion Hall, pay the Oxford Living Wage.

Councillor Martyn Rush, Living Wage Champion for Oxford City Council, said: “The Oxford Living Wage helps our employees afford to live with dignity. It also helps the council by improving staff motivation and retention, enabling us to provide better customer service.

“A number of other local employers already pay the Oxford Living Wage, including Oxford Bus Company, Campion Hall, Blackfriars College and My Life My Choice. Oxford City Council encourages other employers in Oxford to follow their lead and adopt the Oxford Living Wage.”

Eleven out of Oxford’s 38 colleges are currently paying the National Living Wage of £8.75 an hour, including Mansfield and Somerville.