Oxford University student “seriously injured” in a hit and run on Iffley Road

St Hilda’s undergraduate Holly Jackson was hit while cycling and found “metres from her bike” after being knocked unconscious.

A St. Hilda’s student was rushed to hospital on Monday evening after being struck by a car on the Iffley Road.

The incident occurred shortly after 7pm, between The Plain and Circus Street. Holly Jackson was rushed to the John Radcliffe Hospital after sustaining “serious injuries.”

It is believed that three men were in the car, a red Renault Clio which abandoned the scene. Thames Valley Police have since arrested two men, aged 19 and 21 and both from Oxford. They remain in police custody.

Sharing her story on Facebook, Ms Jackson described the events following the accident: “I had no clue what was going on. I was put in an ambulance and taken immediately to hospital.

“Luckily the CT scans were all fine. Yet I did have a massive forehead wound that has had to have about 20 stitches. I am bruised, swollen and battered all over.”

Ms Jackson pleaded with other cyclists to use safety equipment: “This was whilst I WAS wearing a helmet.

“Please just wear one – as it could save your life. I don’t know what would have happened if I didn’t have one and I really don’t want to find out. You cannot trust drivers – just protect yourself.”

The area around The Plain roundabout has long been considered a deadly spot for cyclists, and in 2017 was listed as the “second most dangerous” in the country.

The roundabout saw 45 collisions between 2009 and 2015, according to figures from data firm Mapmechanics. There has also been a significant increase in the number of cyclists using the roundabout in recent years — between 2013 and 2016 the figure rose from 10,800 per day to 11,500 per day.

Investigating officer PC Sandra Terry of the Roads Policing Unit told The Oxford Mail: “I am appealing to anyone who has witnessed the collision or has footage of the collision or vehicle to contact the police as soon as possible.”

PC Terry recommended getting in touch through the Thames Valley Police website or by calling 101.