The University’s Department of Modern and Medieval Languages has announced substitute funding plans for foreign exchanges, should Brexit negotiations do away with current provisions.

The Department Chair, Professor Ian Watson, today confirmed an “open-ended commitment to funding exchange activity required as a compulsory part of an undergraduate degree programme on the same basis as current Erasmus+ provision.”

According to the University’s website: “Oxford remains wholly committed to the Erasmus+ programme and to ensuring student exchanges with European partner universities continue.

“Year abroad arrangements will continue to be in place. In the event that funding is not made available through the European Commission or the UK government for Erasmus+ activity, the University has committed to funding exchange activity required as a compulsory part of an undergraduate degree.”

This announcement follows the creation in February of “Oxford and the EU”, a website specifically designed to provide current students with information about Brexit fallout.

As reported by Cherwell, a no deal Brexit may lead to EU citizens, including students, being treated as third country nationals, removing all EEA afford rights to study and free movement.

As well as visa and immigration difficulties, consequences would include higher tuition fees, in line with those currently paid by non-EU international students.

The University has not yet made comment as to whether research staff will have access to EU equivalent funding, totalling £78 million in 2017/18.