Times Higher Education (THE) has named Oxford University as the world’s best institution for medical and health teaching and research, it was announced this week.

Topping the THE World University Rankings table for the ninth time running in the medical field, this follows from the THE overall rankings in September, which awarded Oxford the spot of top university.

There are over 1,500 graduate and 1,500 undergraduate students in the Medical Sciences Division at Oxford.

Notable achievements over the past year include the award of the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine to Professor Sir Peter Ratcliffe, Director for the Target Discovery Institute within the Nuffield Department of Medicine at Oxford University.

Oxford University contains one of the largest biomedical research centres in Europe, supported by close partnerships with the Oxford University Hospitals and Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trusts.

With support from a network of international research units, the division is able to constantly improve “the University’s research and teach- ing, while the latest developments in medical research lead to improved patient care.”

Professor Gavin Screaton, Head of the Medical Sciences Division, said: “Our extensive research partnerships and collaborations with universities, researchers and industry at home and abroad play a major part in keeping Oxford at the top of the international league tables, as well as helping us to continue to attract and support some of the best scientists and clinicians to work with us.

“This focus on research directly translates into improved clinical treatments and teaching, helping us to provide better care and treatment for patients, create a better learning experience for students and continue to help researchers to develop their breakthroughs into successful spin-out companies.”