Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Unapologetically Female

Maddie Dearman gives a law student's perspective on 'a legal pioneer for gender equality and women’s rights, Justice in the Supreme Court and cultural icon'.

It was September 2018; the RBG documentary had recently been released on Netflix and ‘UCAS’, ‘careers’ and ‘university’ were my sixth form’s favourite words. Influenced by Legally Blonde and Suits, I had decided on a career in law, and this is how I found myself watching RBG. I’m embarrassed to admit that I didn’t know who Ginsburg was before this, (a tad late to the hype I know), so let me tell you now, less then two minutes into the documentary I did not expect to witness a small elderly lady lifting weights with the lyrics of Minneapolis rapper Dessa’s song ‘The Bullpen’ blazing over the top. This impactful introduction turned out to be fitting for Ginsburg, whose steadfast determination and drive for equality for all citizens led her to become a trailblazer for gender equality, in a time when laws enforced outdated gender stereotypes.

Ginsburg paved the way for the law reform in America; her work being critical to the passing of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, which removed the need for women to have a male co-signer when applying for bank accounts, credit cards and mortgages. This greatly increased the mobility and independence women could have. However, Ginsburg did not solely focussed on gender discrimination involving women. Her first gender discrimination case was that of Charles Moritz, Moritz v Commissioner, which entitled men to the same caregiving and social security rights as women. From her work with Susan Dellar Ross which resulted in the passing of the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, to being instrumental to the requirement of women on juries, it is clear that Ginsburg’s legacy is well deserved. 

Even acknowledging Ginsburg’s vast legal success, what was it that made her gain the attention of the general public? I’m sure it came as a surprise to many that a woman in her eighties became such a huge cultural icon amongst the younger generation. Ginsburg herself admits, jokingly, at the beginning of the RBG documentary that ‘everyone wants to take a picture with her’. Quite honestly, this was true. Named ‘notorious RBG’ on social media for her powerful dissents, Ginsburg’s face can be found on prints and tote bags. Tumblr pages, Instagram posts and even TikToks have been dedicated to her, detailing her vast achievements. What made Ginsburg so special is that she was a strong female voice in what has historically been an extremely male-dominated field. As one of only nine female students in a cohort of 500 at Harvard law school, Ginsburg was asked by the Dean why her place should not be given instead to a man. Even with the odds stacked against her, graduating into a field where females were not favoured, regardless of their credentials, she carried on fighting for what she believed in; equal opportunities for all. As only the second female justice on the American Supreme Court, Ginsburg contributed her worth. She did not sit quietly as a token woman. She stood up for what she believed in, and it was her tactful dissents that were widely publicised, contributing to her internet fame. In an age where our history in schools is full of the well-documented achievements of white men, Ginsburg’s legacy is a refreshing twist. 

Since its release in 2001, Legally Blonde is often referenced as an inspiration for many girls to pursue a legal career, with the fictional protagonist, Elle Woods, receiving a place to Harvard law school despite doubts from her peers. Often termed a ‘legal queen’, what many young women admire in Elle Woods is her determination to make a success of herself academically despite everyone doubting her based on stereotypes of ‘dumb blondes’. In 2018, I found a real life model who embodied all of what is admirable about Elle Woods; successful, firm to her beliefs and unapologetically female. In 2017 in the U.K, 67% of law students were female, with 33% male. Even accounting for the fact every law student does not continue into a legal career, it is clear that despite progressive laws and public opinions, there is growing gender inequality as the higher we look up the career ladder. For example, only two out of twelve judges on the Supreme Court in the UK are female. Ginsburg’s legacy of gender equality is still relevant and important even given the progress made over her lifetime.

The most important lesson I take from Ginsburg is her grit and determination in sticking to her goals and morals, despite odds being against her. Nor was maintaining a happy marriage or raising children incompatible with her career. Ginsburg’s legacy is in her immense contribution to the revolutionary change in the American legal system in gender equality. Many law students, myself included, sign up to the degree with dreams of human rights work, inspired to make positive changes. Once beginning the degree, this can appear to many to be a naïve dream when faced with the financial realities of the corporate world. Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s legacy, I’m sure, will inspire many to attempt to achieve their ambitions.  

Credit: Wake Forest University School of Law
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/