Oxford academics awarded Turing Fellowships

Florine Lips reports.

The Turing Fellowship, run by the Alan Turing Institute, has been awarded to 33 Oxford University academics. Researchers from over 14 departments were recognised by the programme, including the Social Sciences, Medical Sciences and Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences (MPLS) divisions. Many of those selected have been involved with the Alan Turing Institute since its creation in 2015.

In total, the fellowship was awarded to 400 academics across 13 partner universities in the UK. Those awarded the position are scholars who have shown excellence in research in data science, artificial intelligence (AI) or another related field. The fellowship rewards scholars whose research would be supported by their association with and involvement in the Alan Turing Institute.

Institute Director and Chief Executive Adrian Smith said: “It gives me great pleasure to welcome this new group of Fellows. This cohort is incredibly multidisciplinary and diverse. They will bring a rich range of expertise and ensure we continue to do world-leading, impactful research.”

Oxford’s recognised academics specialise in topics ranging from the application of data science to current global issues, the development of AI and topical concerns such as immunology, volcanology and mental healthcare.

Professor Sam Howison, Head of the MPLS Division, said: “I am delighted to see the work of so many Oxford researchers recognised in this way. Their wide-ranging expertise illustrates not only the breadth of outstanding data science and AI research in Oxford, but also the critical importance of data science to so many aspects of the modern world.

“Recent work on the analysis of rough paths, led by Prof Terry Lyons from Oxford’s Mathematical Institute, has already shown how the networking opportunities afforded by the Turing Institute can lead to transformative new areas of research. We look forward to the new internal and external connections and collaborations which this year’s cohort of Fellows will form.”

The fellowship will cover 12 months and start on Friday 1st October 2021. The full list of Oxford Turing Fellows can be found on the University website.

Image: Jon Callas/CC BY 2.0 via wikimedia commons.