President-Elect cleared of electoral malpractice allegations

Oxford Union President-Elect Hannah Edwards has been cleared of electoral malpractice allegations after an election tribunal held yesterday found there was no case against her. The tribunal also disqualified several candidates from election to Secretary’s Committee after they failed to sign down.

The election tribunal was held online via Zoom, open to all Union members. The complainant alleged Edwards had breached rules 33(a)(i)(7), 33(a)(i)(8) and 33(a)(i)(32) by spending money on publicising a prospective candidature, engaging in organised treating, and attempting to engage in organised treating. However, the tribunal found no case to answer on all counts. 

The tribunal then moved to consider whether the complainant had breached Rule 33(a)(i)(33) by bringing an unfounded and malicious or manifestly unreasonable allegation, but found the complainant not guilty.

Edwards told Cherwell: “The complaint against me was, frankly, completely ridiculous. There was no evidence at all of electoral malpractice and so I was not surprised that the Tribunal found there was no case to answer.

“In my opinion, the allegation was mean-spirited and exactly the kind of behaviour I stand against as a senior member of the Union.

“Thank you to everyone who voted for me – I look forward to taking up the role of President-Elect and working hard to deliver a fantastic Hilary 2024 termcard that all members can enjoy.”

Succession for the President-Elect will remain suspended for at least 48 hours following the release of the Tribunal’s report last night to allow time for any appeals to be submitted, as required by Rule 33(h). However, the tribunal has ruled that Edwards should take up the powers of President-Elect in the interim. 

The tribunal disqualified Caleb van Ryneveld, Immy Broome, Jakov Mlinarević, Lilian Chen and Jim Smith from election to Secretary’s Committee after they failed to ‘sign down’. Rule 33(c)(ix) requires all candidates to report to the RO or General Office following an election to check if their attendance is required at an election tribunal, and if they do not the tribunal can disqualify them. There will be a recount of the election to Secretary’s Committee excluding the disqualified candidates.

The tribunal’s report also mentioned an allegation of electoral malpractice brought against another individual which was then withdrawn.