Jacob Rees-Mogg, Madeline Argy, and Philip Wang to speak at Oxford Union

Cherwell can exclusively reveal three new speakers for the Oxford Union this term. Addressing the Union this month will be politician Jacob Rees-Mogg, internet personality Madeline Argy, and comedian Philip Wang.

Conservative Member of Parliament Jacob Rees-Mogg will speak on the debate motion “This House does not know what Labour stands for” on Saturday, 10 February. Rees-Mogg is known for his conservatism and Euroscepticism, previously chairing the European Research Group and serving as Minister for Brexit Opportunities and Government Efficiency. Dubbed the “Honourable Member for the 18th century,” he currently sits as a backbencher after having served in Liz Truss’ cabinet. 

Philip Wang, who will be speaking at the Union on 26 February, is a stand-up comedian known for his appearances on Taskmaster and Have I Got News for You. His comedy focuses on his own life and his mixed British-Malaysian heritage. Wang’s acting work includes Wonka and Horrible Histories

Madeline Argy is a media personality and host of the podcast Pretty Lonesome. She has a large following on TikTok and Instagram where she posts content centred on her personal life. Online, she is known for her candid persona and honesty in videos – she often discusses her therapy and relationships with her family. Argy will address the Union on 28 February.

The speakers were not announced on the original HT24 term card, highlights of which can be found here.