St Edmund Hall gives welfare role to former Balliol chaplain accused of improper rape remarks

A former Balliol chaplain who stepped down after allegedly making several inappropriate remarks to a rape victim – including asking if she was “aware of the effect she had on men” – has been given a welfare position at St Edmund Hall. 

Rev Canon Bruce Kinsey resigned from his role as head of wellbeing and welfare at Balliol after an inquiry into inappropriate comments and questions directed toward female victims of sexual assault. He was accused of asking one student if she was a virgin and claiming perpetrators were “puppies who needed to be trained” during a speech to students about consent. 

Kinsey began his work at Teddy Hall in January, assisting as interim chaplain and then as a welfare advisor. Although it appears Kinsey was originally scheduled to stay until June, a spokesperson for Teddy Hall has recently stated that his position finishes in March at the end of term.

The December 2021 inquiry into Kinsey’s behaviour upheld the majority of complaints, although Kinsey denies wrongdoing. It was found that Kinsey engaged in “unwanted and unwarranted conduct” towards a sexual assault victim. One student told The Times: “[My friends] were asked intimate and inappropriate sexual questions, told that their behaviour had encouraged sexual abuse, and had traumatic experiences of rape and assault belittled.”

Students reported that Kinsey commented on their appearance – calling them “very attractive” – and told them they should be wary of reporting since “You don’t want to p*** people off who you might meet again downstream.” 

The recommendations of the inquiry included removing Kinsey from welfare matters relating to sexual harassment and assault and considering whether his behaviour was grounds for dismissal. Kinsey took a sabbatical and later retired from the position. 

Kinsey has claimed that, after investigation, he was “largely exonerated” by Balliol. The College later adopted recommendations to ensure all staff are trained to respond effectively to harassment and sexual misconduct and to create a strategy for preventing harassment and sexual misconduct in the college. 

Teddy Hall has told Cherwell: “Bruce Kinsey assisted as Interim Chaplain for a short time at the start of this term until our new Chaplain took up her role in early February. He now holds a short-term advisory position during the transition period and, as planned, that position finishes in March at the end of term.

“We would also like to emphasise that the College takes all student reports of misconduct by others, including those involving sexual assault and/or harassment, extremely seriously. When a report of student misconduct is received, the report is dealt with through a rigorous non-academic disciplinary procedure, formulated on the basis of legal advice from a leading KC, and detailed in the College By-laws. In accordance with this process, when a major breach of discipline is alleged, the College arranges for an investigation by an external independent expert, followed by consideration of the evidence by a panel chaired by an independent legal practitioner. Students making reports have welfare support made available to them by one of two female Senior Welfare Officers.”

Kinsey has been approached for comment.