Chanel announces sponsorship of Boat Race

Luxury fashion brand Chanel has entered a long-term partnership with the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race, now renamed The CHANEL J12 Boat Race, as its titular sponsor and timekeeper after the previous sponsor filed for bankruptcy. J12 refers to one of Chanel’s watch collections, with the company drawing on a connection between synchronicity in rowing and watchmaking.

President of Chanel Watches & Fine Jewellery Frédéric Grangié said in a press release: “Synchronicity in rowing is as crucial to the race as watchmaking craftsmanship to ensure accurate timing. Every rower, like every mechanism in a watch, must work together as one; the balance, the weight and the oar movements must all be impeccably timed.”

Chanel’s founder Gabriel “Coco” Chanel was inspired by her own interest in sport to create clothes for women that were less restrictive and easier to move in. 

The previous titular sponsor of the boat race was Gemini, a platform for cryptocurrency portfolio management founded by two twins and Oxford alumni, Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, who rowed for the Blues in the 2021 Boat Race. The company filed for bankruptcy earlier this year having faced accusations of defrauding investors, resulting in a $37 million fine and having to refund users. 

Other sponsors over the years include Ladbrokes, Beefeater Gin, Aberdeen Asset Management, and Newton Investment Management.

Chanel is the first company in the race’s 195-year history to be the Boat Race’s official timekeeper as well as its titular sponsor and official partner. The contract extends until 2029, which will be the race’s bicentenary.

Each year over 250,000 spectate the Boat Race on the riverbank, with millions more watching on television. This year saw defeats for both Oxford’s Men and Women, giving Cambridge a record of 87–81 for men and 48–30 for women.