Oxford eight joins Wasps rugby academy

It follows a successful run out with the England sevens team in April

Blues eight Will Wilson has joined the Wasps rugby academy, after a successful run out with the England sevens team in April.

Wilson, a finalist historian at Keble, has appeared in two Varsity matches and made a number of A League appearances for Wasps during a previous spell with the outfit.

He has impressed at both university and international level this year, converting for the Blues in the Varsity match and scoring for the national side at this year’s Hong Kong sevens.

He told Cherwell that: “Being approached by Wasps came as a bolt from the blue, but it was ultimately an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.

“I’m really excited to test myself against some of the very best in the country (and indeed the world), and can’t wait to get stuck into training and playing for the academy side. Hopefully this will perform as a platform for bigger and better things to come!”

He joins the academy alongside 20-year-old winger Callum Sirker. Wasps academy manager Jonathan Pendlebury said: “It is great to be able to add two talented players like Callum and Will to our Senior Academy squad for next season. They have both flourished in their time away from the club and we cannot wait to have them back in the Wasps setup.”

“Adding Callum and Will means we will have a larger 14-man Senior Academy squad next season, which will enable us to play a fuller role in first team training as an academy group. The pair, along with other senior academy players will have early opportunities to impress in the Premiership Rugby 7s and the pre-season development XV fixture vs Coventry ahead of the season.”

Wilson has plenty of experience at a high level, having previously captained an England U18 tour to Samoa and won three Blues for Oxford. He played at flanker in the Oxford side that won 12-6 in 2015, and started at eight in the 2016 and 2017 defeats, scoring a try in the latter.