Union Prices Up

Bar prices at the Oxford Union are on course for a dramatic increase from Michaelmas term The bar lost almost £10,000 last year and the price hike is anticipated to be by as much 50% as a result of rising costs and falling profits. Librarian Matt Richardson said, “It is simply not viable for the Union to keep prices this low in face of spiralling costs”. The Union’s price change comes at the same time as increased prices are being introduced across Oxford’s college bars. Marcus Walker, President-Elect, admitted that “bar prices may no longer remain the cheapest in Oxford”, but the popular £1-a-pint on Carlsberg will not be affected. Union sceptics are angry at the proposed increases, especially given the complimentary drinks consumed by Committee members during discussions about this very issue. Presidential Drinks every Thursday sees large amounts of alcohol consumed by guests at members’ expense. One Secretary’s Committee member even spoke of a competition among committee members’ to make back their entire £140 membership fee in just one night at Presidential Drinks. Treasurer Ed Tomlinson stressed that several factors, including reintroducing music and carpeting in the bar area, mean that this term should see a return to profitability.
ARCHIVE: 2nd Week TT 2003