Teenage girl raped on way to school

A teenage girl has been savagely raped while walking to school in Oxford. Thames Valley Police have appealed for witnesses and urged all women to be “vigilant and take extra care.” The fifteen-year old was walking along a footpath leading off Barracks Lane when the attacker struck at 9.20 on Monday morning. The teenager, who is now being looked after by specialist police officers and counselling services, was able to give a detailed description of her attacker. Police described the rapist as an unkempt white man in his late twenties. He is of medium build and has dark brown hair and stubble. They do not believe the incident is linked to any other indecent assaults in the area. The police are now carrying out door-to-door enquiries and urging people with information to come forward. Deputy Inspector Andy Bird of Oxford CID said, “This man has attacked a vulnerable young girl in the most shocking manner on her way to school. It was a terrible ordeal for her. We now need to find this man as soon as possible.” Bird continued, “Women of all ages are advised to be vigilant and take extra care when out alone.” Local residents, who described the footpath as a “no-go area” after dark, are said to be shocked that the attack happened so close to their homes, but acknowledged that the lane was notoriously rough. This week Thames Valley Police also issued a statement thanking the local press for their help with a recent appeal in connection with two separate indecent assaults against Oxford students near Cowley Road. Cherwell published police e-fits of suspects and reported the incidents two weeks ago urging anyone with information come forward. Detective Constable Mark Hill said, “I would like to thank the media for the coverage that has given us some positive leads in the investigation. However I would reiterate my appeal to women who may have been subjected to an indecent assault. You may well have vital information.” Anyone with information on any of these attacks should contact Oxford CID on 08458 505 505 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.ARCHIVE: 3rd week TT 2004