OUBC attacked by Spanish gang

Two Oxford University Boat Club oarsmen were left wounded in a Seville hospital on Sunday 18 September after a group of the rowers were attacked by a gang of Spanish youths.
OUBC were participating in a regatta to mark the centenary of Seville Football Club.
The incident happened at 2am in a suburban street shortly after the rowers involved left a nightclub. They were surrounded by the youths and attacked with bottles, motorcycle helmets and motorcycle ’D’ locks. The hospitalised rowers were able to leave the Medical Centre the next morning. A preliminary statement from the Boat Club says that the pair have “recovered well and are back in full training”.
Spanish police have now confirmed to the victims that the group of youths are “well known” to them for similar offences, and that ten people have been charged with the attack.
The reason for the attack is said by the Boat Club to be “unknown”, although the police have speculated that it “may have been a recurrence of the violence that plagued the Liverpool-Betis football match earlier in the week”.
OUBC came fourth in the regatta after Betis, Cambridge and Seville.
Barney Williams, President of OUBC, said “The OUBC in conjunction with the University is reviewing the format of the event to ensure that this was an isolated event. The health and safety of its athletes is a priority of the OUBC and the club is currently conducting a review of all events in which it participates to ensure that the respective organisers share this sentiment.”ARCHIVE: 0th week MT 2005