OUCA accuses Student Union of "political bias" over Freshers’ Fair

Oxford University Conservative Association (OUCA) have become embroiled in a dispute with the Oxford University Student Union over an incident at last week’s Freshers’ Fair.OUCA accused the Student Union of “political bias” after they were repeatedly asked to move a Union Jack flag that they were displaying behind their stall over the three day fair. The Student Union became concerned about “health and safety issues”. The Stallholder Regulations provided by OUSU for clubs and societies wishing to recruit at the Freshers’ Fair said, “You must not create any obstruction across floors, or projecting from under or over tables.” It continues, “This applies to both the vicinity of your stall and to gangways/doors. No obstructive exhibits are allowed.”Chris Allan, OUSU’s Vice-President (Finance) said, “I spoke to the organisers and they informed me that the flag was adjusted for health and safety reasons.”OUSU President Emma Norris, said, “During setup of the freshers’ fair OUSU organisers asked them to move their flag up because people were tripping up over it.”A press release issued by OUCA claimed that the Student Union’s treatment was unfair and that they felt aggrieved that neighbouring stands, which they claim also had low-hanging banners, were not made to adjust them.OUCA Publicity Officer, Charlie Steel, said, “OUCA is very disappointed with OUSU’s clear political affiliations during Freshers’ Fair.”He continued, “The Labour Club stand was directly behind us; its banner was allowed to be a lot lower than ours.”Martin McCluskey, Chair of Oxford University Labour Club (OULC), whose stand was adjacent to OUCA’s, said, “Their flag did drape onto the floor and over the floor space where our activists were standing.”He said that their flag had been “half the size and secured by sturdy poles.” He added, “Their flag was supported by bamboo canes tied together with electrical tape – I don’t call that safe.”Christopher Ware, OUCA President, said, “I was surprised at the OUSU officials’ sustained obstructive and abusive attitude towards the OUCA stand.”Ware maintains that the OUCA Union Jack did not impose on neighbouring stands, saying, “We used masking tape, we used bamboo shoots; emphatically there was no way that it could have intruded on anyone.”One member of OUCA, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “The flag is an emblem of OUCA and cost over £400 to purchase.” He continued, “The flag is always present at every social event worth its salt, and I was disappointed that freshers were not able to see it in its displayed in its full glory.” Another member said, “Let us hope that this dispute has not spoilt the esteemed political reputation of the organisation, of which we are all proud to be members.”ARCHIVE: 1st week MT 2005