Blues kick through Bees

Oxford 33Pertemps Bees 21The Blues bounced back from a difficult last week with a much improved performance to beat semi-professional Pertemps Bees 33-21 at Iffley Road.Oxford secured victory over their opponents with some impressively intelligent, clinical play. As the Bees started slowly. the Blues sensed the opportunity and fully capitalised. Dan Palm’s first minute try off his own chargedown was a sign of things to come, as Oxford put in 40 minutes of aggressive, adventurous rugby. In defence, the Blues showed professionalism and couage, with Sean Fauth taking down a breakaway visitor. However, the main entertainment came from the attack. Despite some stuborn Bees defence, Palm’s try was added to by Adam Harris, Doug Abbott, who finished off a superb Tom Tombleson run, and James Whittingham, who scrambled over after collecting a loose pass. After half time, however, the Bees came out firing and Oxford were forced onto the back foot. Unphased, they defended with great composure, trying to adapt to the referee’s strict interpretation to constrain the Bees’ comeback. However, the Bees’ Joe Wearne and Alex Davidson still managed to get over the line and Ben Harvey was accurate at every opportunity and his 11 points could have swung the match. With their lead down to just seven points, the Blues regained control of the match with some astute tactical play, Jon Fennell’s accurate boot forcing the Bees deep into their half. Two Fennell penalties calmed Oxford’s nerves before Tombleson capped a fine night with the winning score, rolling out of a tackle before diving into the corner after Palm, Harris and Chris Hadfield.As the Varsity match looms closer, the Blues have some tough fixtures ahead against Harlequins, Wasps and Tonga. This week’s mature display, however, showed they are beginning to fulfil their potential and emerging as a very classy side.ARCHIVE: 2nd week MT 2005