Ex Hilda’s Principal and pro-Vice Chancellor dies at 92

Mary Bennett, the former Principal of St. Hilda’s College, has died in her home at the age of 92. Mary Bennett was Principal of St. Hilda’s from 1965-1980. She was University Pro-Vice-Chancellor from 1979-1980 and served on the University Council from 1973-1979. Mrs Bennett begun her Oxford association when she took a First in Classics at Somerville before work­ing for the BBC during the Second World War and at the Colonial Office from 1945-1956. She was at the forefront of the skirmishes which accompanied the introduction of mixed-gender colleges at Oxford in the late 1960s and vigorously contested the opening of men’s col­leges to women, arguing in a letter to the Principal of LMH that the older, male establishments would “skim the cream” of female candidates, motivated by the “stupid men out, clever girls in” argument. Sally Mapstone, a Tutor and Fel­low at St Hilda’s said: “Mrs Bennett represented everything that is best about St Hilda’s. She came from a background of academic distinction, and she believed in academic excel­lence. She had formidable presence, but she was also famously fair-mind­ed. She was a vintage Principal.” Mary Bennett’s family are holding a private funeral but St Hilda’s is to announce a public memorial service in due
course. ARCHIVE: 4th week MT 2005