Cuppers Tennis: Review and predictions

The Cuppers competition upto this point has been unpredictable and as we head towards the semi-final stage we can recap on what has happened thus far in the tournament and also look ahead towards the final matches.
Last year’s finalists, Queen’s, have put up a strong challenge thus far, with a confident victory over Brasenose getting their challenge off to a good early start.

Perhaps the most impressive achievement in the tournament has, however, been that of Worcester who have got two teams through to the quarter finals. The first squad was tipped to make that stage, and victories over Wadham, Wolfson and Magdalen proved those predictions to be correct. The victory against Magdalen was particularly notable given the strength of their opponents; McTaggart and Thompson had proved a great doubles’ combination.
However for Worcester seconds to progress so far has been something of a revelation. A victory over an understrength Exeter side was perhaps expected but to beat the tradtionally strong New College in the last 16 was certainly a turn up for the books.

Looking ahead to the final stages there are three teams that stand out.
Last year’s winners St Catz have looked strong so far as they cantered to a series of victories; don’t bet aginst.
Queen’s also look a strong force with a squad of Carpenter, Grainger, Bowden, Hazzard and Pickles a match for anyone.

However Worcester 1 look to be the best pick as they have the deepest squad and having failed to mount a strong challenge last year they will be keen to impress in 2007’s competition.
Although the weather hasn’t helped this year, watch out for cuppers to dominate the end of term.Stuart Williamson