Five Minutes With… Tom Campion

As a ‘New Writer’ in Oxford, what do you feel are the obligations of the modern playwright?
Obligations…I think the obvious ones are firstly to entertain and secondly through entertaining bring the audience into contact with ideas and viewpoints that they wouldn’t necessarily have considered otherwise. The way theatre is now, it’s never going to change the world, but it can act in more subtle ways, and I believe it’s about presenting ideas and getting them into the public eye, getting the audience to consider them, rather than simply hammering home one point of view. I’m not sure I’ve fulfilled either of them yet. But I’m trying.

Which pieces of New Writing have you particularly enjoyed this year?
There are a number of writers I admire. I think the my highlight was Kathryn Rickson’s Bare Feet on a Cold Floor, which was the most assured piece of student writing I think I’ve ever seen, and the best thing to grace the Moser. I really enjoyed the 24 hour plays last week, it was fascinating to see what people came up with. Ben Arnold is definitely a writer to watch – he’s got a unique style and some great ideas. And Tom Crawshaw’s NWF winner was great fun, too.

Are you working on anything at the moment?
I’m working on a couple of things – I’ve got a show going up to Edinburgh called I’m a Lab Rat, Get Me Out of Here! and a play hopefully on next term which is a little darker called Knuckles in her Heart, both of which I’m really looking forward to.

Should we move on from the Past Masters?
It’ll always depend on what the audience wants to see. I personally want to see new ideas and interesting takes on old conflicts. If that’s done through reinterpreting classics or through brand new plays then so be it. I like watching new plays because it’s like meeting new people – it’s exciting, it can lead to more than what it starts as and it’s always got the potential to make you feel something completely different.

What place should New Writing take in the future of the theatre?
‘New Writing’ seems like a rather grand title. Obviously people will continue to write plays, and some of them will have the potential to define an era or capture a moment in history. I think writing is becoming more and more accessible, so hopefully we’ll see a bigger diversity of playwrights and new plays – it’s all about expanding the horizons of the audience (without them noticing, because then they usually get scared and run away).