Cowley Road Most Dangerous in Oxford

Cowley Road, known for its eclectic nightlife and many student houses, is statistically the most dangerous street in Oxford. Last year, more than 900 crimes were recorded but at present, there are no CCTV cameras on the road, leaving residents and visitors vulnerable.Senior Police Officer Supt Brendan O'Dowda is currently pressuring for eight cameras to be installed on the road between Magdalen Bridge and Magdalen Road, in an effort to clamp down on crime. O'Dowda reports that more than 700 arrests were made in the city centre on the basis of CCTV network footage over the past twelve months, and that the lack of them on Cowley Road was hindering the police from doing their job:"Cameras would stop what could turn into a full-scale assault where a glass could be shoved in someone's face."In the past two years a number of serious incidents have taken place along Cowley Road – some have been detected, but many haven't."Many local businesses have their own CCTV system installed, but without it being linked up, tracing the movements of individuals becomes very difficult. Aside from helping the police to anticipate violence, CCTV footage would also help to prosecute those dangerous to the community.Opposition to the move comes from those who see the cameras as an infringement on civil liberties. The installation of eight cameras would involve roadworks, plus around £150000 expense to the local council. Moderate corners see the importance of introducing CCTV to Cowley Road, but see eight cameras as excessive.