Long-awaited victory for Blues

THE Oxford Women’s Blues Football team took on Bedford Women’s Firsts on Wednesday afternoon at their home pitches of Marston. After only losses so far this season, the Blues were looking to kick start their season with ‘third-time lucky’ starting this match with renewed determination.

The game got off to a slow start with Oxford keeping firm possession of the ball, winning everything in the air and outplaying the opposition. Oxford played well up front, and managed to launch convincing attacks on their opposition’s defence. Despite a number of opportunities on goal, however, Oxford was unable to finish and each attempt ended up in the hands of Bedford’s strong keeper. The first half wound down with the Oxford side looking anxious. No doubt the memory of their two prior losses was still stinging, and the Bedford team, who responded well despite the home side’s pressure, was going to be hard to beat.

Bedford came out strong in the second half, having a breakaway opportunity at goal, but the Blues’ talented keeper Stephanie McGowan shut down any hope Bedford had of scoring, and asserted her dominating presence in goal. The Blues, a bit shaken, mustered their spirits and begin pushing hard for that goal that had so far evaded them. Finally, ten minutes into the second half, Worcester fresher Lucie Bowden cleaned up a powerfully shot ball from left wing Sarah Rouse that the Bedford keeper had fumbled. Bowden’s effort gave Oxford their first and much needed goal of the season, spurring the Blues to new efforts and putting victory in their sights. With the scoring drought finally ended, Oxford found form and intensified the pressure on Bedford. At last, the the goals started to flow. In the last twenty-five minutes of the match, the Oxford women saw two more goals from visiting student Brett Burns, which were powerfully struck from outside the penalty box. The expert placing of the shots left Bedford’s keeper without any hope of redeeming the scoreline. Although Bedford countered with good pressure and fresh players tested the Blues’ fitness towards the end of the game, Oxford held strong, determined to redeem the disappointment of a bad start to the season. The display of skill and composure showed by Oxford during the match more than accomplished this aspiration, and should give the team the confidence to build on this performance for further victories.