Diary of a captain – Blues Football

WITH the addition of ex-Arsenal and England defender Martin Keown into the coaching set up and the prospect of competing in the BUSA regional first division after promotion last year, this was always likely to be an exciting season for the men’s Blues football squad.
Whilst it naturally took some time and no small degree of experimentation to allow the squad to settle and find some rhythm, the unbeaten starts for both the Blues and Centaurs teams have reflected the quality and dedication of this year’s group of players. In fact, four members of our current Blues team have been invited  to train with the England Universities development squad.
The drive towards a greater level of professionalisation of the football setup within the University, encompassing such developments as the creation of the role of sabbatical officer and the recruitment of Martin Keown as team coach, has laid the foundations for success not just in this season but in many other years in the future.
We are striving to improve the quality of football experience across the spectrum from the blues to the college  teams and we are also seeking to identify as effectively as possible those players who could make the step up and compete at higher levels.
I honestly believe that promotion to the national premier league within two seasons is a realistic target for the Blues team and I would like to think that we can buck the recent trend of Cambridge victories in Varsity matches when the two teams meet at Craven Cottage in April of next year.
With the game taking place on the same day as the boat race, and at a venue located on the bank of the Thames in London, we certainly hope to have a substantial number of fans there to support the team in their quest for victory.