Diary of a captain – women’s rugby Blues

Thursday
After a minibus test, I turn my attention to the forthcoming week. Unusually, the Blues have only played one BUSA Premier League fixture so far, so the season is yet to get going.
Friday
An early start with Fitness at 7.30am, led by last year’s captain Bethan Walsh who is one of two former players now in the Wales squad. Before the evening session, I meet with the coaches and Panthers captain to define our aims for the rest of term.
Saturday
A ‘day off’ today is for College Rugby. Over 100 girls – from total beginners to Blues – are involved on a regular basis, boosted by support from the men’s teams.
Sunday
This morning’s session involves more contact rugby and it’s fantastic to see the positive effects of regular club training on the players. The Blues work through attack and defence, with Margariete and Jake Howard, who have decades of club and international rugby experience between them.
Monday
An evening session is dedicated to running through scenarios and moves with the squad. This week’s opposition, Marjons, are usually tough and physically brutal so we must focus. The committee meets to discuss our Lehman Brothers Varsity Match – this year in Oxford on Saturday 1st March.
Tuesday
I try to switch off from rugby for the most of the day and get down to some work, before a team supper and an early night.
Wednesday
I’m always nervous in the morning so time flies before kick off. Everyone is pumped and really committing to the game. We dominate the first half but unfortunately take our foot off the gas, miss some chances and draw the game 20-20. It’s disappointing but we have to keep thinking positively.We end the week on a high with a team social in fancy dress!