Worcester flying at top of table

Worcester 2 – 0 Wadham WORCESTER raced to a surely insurmountable lead in the Premier Division with a 2-0 home victory over second place Wadham.  The win sees Worcester establish a seven point gap at the top of the table which, based on today’s performance, they look unlikely to surrender.
The importance of this match couldn’t be understated as newly-promoted Wadham represented the best chance of usurping the reigning champions. Their defeat on Wednesday, though, surely leaves Wadham’s title hopes in tatters. The visitors will rue a missed opportunity but might reflect that the scoreline was a just one in the face of a dynamic Worcester attack.
Worcester kicked off but were panicked into an immediate clearance as Wadham rapidly chased the ball down. As the half wore on, however, the home side settled into a rhythm of sorts, making some incisive breaks down the right hand side. Wadham, unable to cope with Worcester’s tenacious midfield and the strength of their central defence, resorted to long balls down the left flank which, as the final score suggests, failed to make an impact.
The first goal was the result of Worcester’s sustained and at times fluid attacks on Wadham’s defenders. Kunal Desai cut the visiting defence with a quick through ball, which striker Rich Adams latched onto. Making no mistake, his angled shot left the keeper flailing and put the first points on the scoreboard.
Wadham hit back with one of their best attacks of the half, putting together a slick sequence of passes, although the attack fizzled out tamely near the corner flag. Wadham’s inability to penetrate their host’s well-marshalled defence highlighted the impotence of their attacking play and as was so often the case their strikers were left bereft of any real chances.
The second half continued in similar vein. Although Worcester were evidently more dangerous with their incisive passing sequences, neither side were able to win outright dominance. That said, as play restarted Wadham seemed better co-ordinated, with their midfield retaining possession and showing more composure on the ball. Worcester, however, were soon back on the offensive.
An hour in, Matt Sinnett’s beautifully timed run and resulting header made it 2-0 and, with clear cut chances few and far between, the mood of home the crowd was confident. With the clock running down, Desai nearly added another goal as his free kick was narrowly tipped over. Wadham nearly grabbed a consolation goal, though, when midfielder Michael Edwards’ rifling free kick was cruelly kept out by the crossbar. 
Worcester’s continued dominance of this division is richly deserved.  An excellent defence is backed up by an attack boasting flair and skill in abundance. Special mention must go to Desai, Plaxton and Butts who all contributed with outstanding performances.
What made Worcester so impressive was the variety of attacking options available, with Desai’s able deliveries from set play and the searing pace of their wingers stretching Wadham’s defence.
The visitors do deserve plaudits for keeping Worcester out for so much of the game, and indeed their backline showed considerable composure against arguably the most potent team in the league. The more cynical observer might highlight the crunching tackles inflicted in particular on Desai and Plaxton, the former at one point having to leave the pitch.
That this Wadham team was best placed to halt Worcester, yet could not score against the table leaders, highlights the champions’ dominance within this division. With no obvious weaknesses in the team, their march to  another championship title seems almost inevitable.