Torch-lit Holocaust Memorial March Through Oxford Scheduled for Sunday

Oxford University’s Jewish Society and the Aegis Society , a grassroots movement against genocide, will organize and sponsor a torch-lit march through Oxford city-center for Holocaust Memorial Day on Sunday, January 27th.

The march will be celebrating the 63rd anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp in 1945 – the very end of the Second World War. The commemoration walk is scheduled to begin at the Jewish Centre in Jericho at 5:45 pm.

OUSU president Martin McCluskey thinks the significance of this event is heightened after the Holocaust denier David Irving’s controversial visit to the Oxford Union last term.

“Education about the Holocaust seems even more pertinent now. For people who haven't heard a Holocaust survivor speak before, it's incredibly powerful and brings home how horrendous it was,” commented McCluskey to the Oxford Times.

Other commemorative events are scheduled for Sunday, including a talk by a Holocaust survivor at the Jewish Centre, at 4 pm. Oxford University Chabad Society will be holding a lecture on Sunday by Professor Sir Michael Howard, president emeritus of the International Institute for Strategic Studies and who was Regius Professor of Modern History at Oxford. His mother was Jewish, fought in the Italian Campaign during the Second-World-War and was twice wounded and won a Military Cross at Salerno. The lecture will begin at 8 PM at the David Slager Chabad Jewish Centre on George Street.Cherwell 24 is not responsible for the content of external links