Oxford courts Indian economic boom

Vice-Chancellor John Hood has announced an educational collaboration between India and Britain, to be centred at Oxford’s Saïd Business School.The Saïd Business School is one of Europe’s  youngest business schools. It tops the rankings for UK universities in undergraduate Business Studies.The Oxford University India Business Centre  (OUIBC) will address major business issues through joint research between academics in Oxford, India and elsewhere.Alongside  research and teaching at Oxford, the centre will develop a range of educational projects to be transmitted through a new facility in Lavasa, near Pune.According to Lavasa Corporation Ltd., the facility is due to deliver education programmes in early 2010.In announcing the initiative, Dr Hood said, “The primary objective of this research centre is to learn from India’s business  success.  A clear understanding of the issues faced by India, and their innovative solutions, as India transitions from poverty to prosperity, will form a guide to future generations of countries attempting similar transitions.”India’s economy is growing by nine per cent per annum,  a rate only surpassed by China according to recent reports. Hood acknowledged, “Business developments like the Tata Steel-Corus and Vodafone Hutch are very impressive.“Tata Motors’ new car Nano is a wonderful innovation not just for India but also for the whole world.”
Recognising that some 260 Indian students are currently at Oxford, he continued,  “The spectacular economic growth and new generation’s inclination towards innovation and success are things to be analysed, recorded and taught in classrooms.”Kaushal Vidyarthee, a graduate student at Wolfson, thinks the initiative is a step in the right direction. “India is surely going to benefit from this and I am very proud of the fact that the Oxford University has been so proactive; it will surely strengthen the ties between the UK and India.” Prior to his matriculation here, Vidyarthee completed his BA in Urban Planning at the School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi.Professor Colin Mayer, Dean of the Saïd Business School, spoke at  the conference in New Delhi. “The purpose of the centre is to address major business policy questions in India…and to engage practitioners and policymakers in formulating a research agenda that will be relevant and significant.”Also speaking at the conference, Mr Ajit Gulabchand of Lavasa Corporations Ltd.  said, “It is a matter of great pride for Lavasa to be partnered with the most respected educational institution in the world. This will open new paradigms of educational and managerial excellence for students in both countries.”The OUIBC is the latest initiative in an £825m investment in the development funding of India for the next three years.Currently in  New Delhi as part of the Prime Minister’s delegation, Hood is a firm supporter of international academic links. He recognises the historic association of India and Britain, which share “a lot of valuable manuscripts” and “collections of art and artefacts.”The first Indian students came to Oxford in 1871 and just 12 years later, the University founded the Indian Institute. Mr Gulabchand and Dr Hood will sign the official memorandum of agreement  at the World Economic Forum at Davos on 25 January.Research leader and Professor of World Literature in English, Elleke Boehmer, said: “The aspects of multiculturalism that attract such interest today – from innovative literature to fear of terrorism – were with us a century ago.”
by Omotola Akerele