The review: Action Stations, Baby Love

5/5 And now, a break from our regularly scheduled programming; Lifestyle skips a meal in favour of a night on the town with DJs Jamie and Rachel at new night Action Stations.Baby Love bar is tucked away just off the High Street down a small, dark alleyway. It’s pretty easy to miss. That would be a shame, because it is now host to one of the most original club nights in Oxford; Action Stations. The posters promised me blues, jive, rockabilly and 1950s music, something I was initially dubious about; I’m a big a drunken fan of “Rock Around the Clock” as the next person, but ‘50s-themed nights generally send my gimmick-o-meter haywire. Settling into the bar though, watching the black-and-white projector throwing images of ‘50s singers onto the opposite wall, and feeling grateful I wasn’t amongst the hordes of shivering people outside waiting to get in, I did begin to see the appeal. The dance floor was packed by 10 with girls in polka dot prom dresses and boys in sharp suits jiving – young people these days – and even I was encouraged to join in. The music really was very good, ranging from ska to rockabilly through the blues, with songs that would be instantly recognisable even to the most hardened drum and bass fan. The main event itself – Action Stations – played seamless 50s rocknroll, prompting a hectic rush downstairs to the dance floor. Twenty minutes in and I was a total convert, loving every minute of their two-hour set. The free CDs and numerous balloons my friends tied to my arm might not be available every night, but Action Stations is definitely worth a visit for the atmosphere, not to mention the fantastic music – although the chance to slap on red lipstick or pretend to be a sharp-suited Jerry Lee Lewis is an incentive in itself.At £4 entry (£2 if you’re lucky enough to make the cheaplist on their Facebook page), the night is great value, although drinks may set you back a bit more. They range from £3 for a Woo-Woo to a fiver for the best Mojito I’ve had this side of Mexico. It’s best to turn up early for their next night on the 6th February; they might advertise with the premise “let’s try and create a real alternative to Filth and the Bridge”, but both were clearly second-best last night.

by Cassie Lester
See the C24 Video Team's interviews here.