Animal Rights Protest Allowed to Continue During Sheldonian Ceremonies

A judge has denied Oxford University’s request for an exclusion zone to keep animal rights protesters away from the Sheldonian Theatre during graduation ceremonies.

A ban on protests against the University’s new animal testing laboratory was requested on grounds that the protesters’ shouts would ruin the “peace and quiet” of the ceremonies.

Mr Justice Treacy of the High Court in London ruled against the University’s appeal on the grounds of lacking evidence to prove the protesters’ threat to students during the Sheldonian proceedings.

Instead, the judge granted an additional 100 meters to the exclusion zone around the nearly completed laboratory in South Parks Road, so that students, faculty, and researchers will not be disturbed. The extension was issued on the  grounds that only construction workers of the lab were being given protection, and not students and faculty.

There have been previous incidents of violent attacks against the University's students and staff. Extremist activists have threatened and attacked University property, saying that the laboratory will be dismantled “brick by brick.”

“There is a high probability that unlawful harassment… will take place as a result from the unrestrained gathering of protesters,” said Justice Treacy.A university spokesman, however, says the institution will not be stirred.“The university remains firmly committed to the completion of a new facility to rehouse animals used in potentially life-saving research. The safety of staff, students and others remain the number one priority.”

“As an institution deeply committed to freedom of speech, we respect the right to protest and to make views heard within the law. However, we will protect our staff and students – and those working with us – from harassment and intimidation while going about their lawful business,” the spokesman added.