Monsters in Manhattan

Cloverfield3/51 February There were two words I repeated throughout the duration of Cloverfield, neither of which are friendly for print. The best way to describe the film is ‘intense’, as you will quite possibly leave the cinema short of breath. Many will be frustrated by the lack of answers, but the experience provides an adrenaline rush that makes the experience worthwhile. Cloverfield, which was produced by J.J. Abrams of Lost fame, is about a monster that terrorizes New York City. The chaos is viewed through a handheld camera of one of the characters. At times the film feels like another instalment of The Blair Witch Project, only this time it involves a giant monster and its minions of spider-like henchmen. Yet the camera action quickly transforms from being nauseating to emphasizing the action of the film.
Rob’s going away party consumes the first twenty minutes of the film. Rob is a typical ambitious ‘yuppie,’ but he appears to be having a quarter-life crisis. He has accepted a job in Japan and will be leaving the next day. Obviously, that does not happen. As Hud, his best friend states, ‘Looks like you should have left town a little bit earlier.’
Once the action starts, it literally does not stop until the credits end. Rob and three friends embark on a mission to save the woman Rob loves, abandoning any rational plan of escaping Manhattan. This is one of the most annoying parts of the film, however it is necessary for the story to continue. The goodbye tape that Hud was supposed to be recording thus turns into a documentation of a city being destroyed by a very scary monster.
There is no real hero in Cloverfield, as we are meant to be witnessing real people trapped in a situation that goes beyond reason. Consequently, it has been accused of capitalizing on the tragedy of September 11th. The images of terrified people breaking through clouds of dust from a collapsed building are far too familiar. But this makes the events of the film all the more terrifying. There is no one to save the day and no one to explain what is going on.
This is the sort of film that sticks in your mind for days. Aiding the search for answers are a slew of websites dedicated to the film, including fake Myspace pages for the characters. However, the film is not entirely horrifying, it does have its truly funny moments, most involving Hud.
Cloverfield is a ridiculously scary film experience. I left the cinema shaking and contemplating how I would escape Manhattan if faced with a similar situation. While the film is not for everyone, given its definite ability to thrill it is a risk that is worth taking.