College football round up – 3rd week

PREMIER DIVISION 
New 1 Oriel 2 
Oriel eased past a dogged New College to maintain their climb of the Premier Division table. New started well, but didn't make the most of some early pressure, with shots firing over and wide. Oriel gained in confidence and started to pass the ball well.  Hammad saw an effort go just past the post and another cleared off the line. As Warner and Surman began to control the midfield for Oriel, Wilson came into the game and netted with a half-volley from distance. After half time, the game became more scrappy with few real chances coming for either side. Despite this, substitute Tom Webb led the Oriel attack and doubled the lead with neat control and a cool finish. New threw men forward towards the end, but a lack of creativity saw few chances for the home side. Oriel's defence was organised and would have taken home a clean sheet if not for an alert New striker tapping home after a parry from Byas in goal. Harry Hoare 

DIVISION ONE 

St Hugh’s 1 St Catz 3 (Last Monday) 
St Catz went into this game as clear favourites against a Hugh's side that is desperately trying to avoid relegation for a second year running. The game saw few clear chances in the first half until Hugh's was awarded a penalty after 25 minutes, when Adhip Rawal was brought down by the Catz keeper.  Rawal hit the net from the spot and gave St Hugh's a surprising lead against the league leaders.  Catz bounced back and took control of the game.  They were rewarded by an equaliser through Ryan Taylor just before the break.  St Hugh's battled hard in the second half, however, and struggled to get hold of the ball.  Catz clearly dominated the game and possession, and Taylor added two more to his account to help Catz to a deserved 3-1 win.  Adhip Rawal 

Keble 7 St Hugh’s 1

With both sides chasing their respective goals, this was a must win match; Keble needed a win to keep their promotion hopes alive, while St Hugh's needed a win in their fight against relegation. The match kicked off with Hugh's playing against the wind, the sun in their eyes, causing them all sorts of difficulties, and sure enough after 10 minutes of concerted Keble pressure, a good cross from the Keble right back found Askham in the box.  After composing himself, Askham slotted the ball away. This was to be the start of a difficult first half for Hugh's, letting in five goals in all. The second half was much tighter, with Hugh's making good use of the wind and getting a goal back. Any hint of a comeback was swiftly snuffed out, though, when Downpatrick scored two leaving the final score at 7-1, with Michael Gajdus the Keble striker getting a hat trick. Seb Singh 

DIVISION TWO

Merton/Mansfield 3 St Peters 1 
After an early scare at going one nil down from a scrappy goal from a corner, Merton-Mansfield soon got into their stride and drew level by half time with a cute finish from Robbie Coleman.  After a number of missed chances, Lloyd Thomas finally added a second before a late goal from Robbie Coleman sealed the win to take Merton-Mansfield back to the top of the table.  Reuben Holt