The Local: Witches at The Purple Turtle

here’s something odd about Oxford students and Oxford music. On the one hand, as a bunch of predominantly white, middle- class youngsters, it’s no real surprise that the student body boasts a healthy population of skinny indie kids who like nothing better than dingy pubs and live bands.
But when it comes to translating that passion into actually getting out there and sniffing out local talent, by and large there’s a disappointing apathy. And this is a shame, because we’re missing some real treasures.
Witches are one of these. A six-piece indierock outfit, boasting glockenspiel, trumpet and synths, this lot have focused their efforts on regular live appearances around Oxford, before making their first tentative steps into the big bad world of London gigging.
The band members cite influences as diverse as Sepultura, the Flaming Lips, Nirvana and Iron & Wine. Not that any of this really encapsulates their sound: as bassist Dan opines, ‘I think that’s it – we try and sound like bands and then we don’t. So, it doesn’t sound like we intend it to, but hopefully it does sound good.’
Later that night Witches treated the Purple Turtle to a downbeat but powerful set, their multi-layered instrumental parts vying for attention with forlorn lyrics that seem particularly fitting for the drizzle outside. ‘The music is its own entity,’ stresses singer Dave, ‘we’re not a lyrics-driven band’ – although Witches are not exactly lacking in lyrical prowess either.
Altogether, this is a band you should check out, and they’re by no means the only hidden gem Oxford has to offer. Dave’s advice: ‘just pick up a copy of [invaluable local music mag] Nightshift and take a chance on a gig. Because it could actually be really good.’
by Helena Zaba