Cowley mosque to reconsider call to prayer plans

Leaders at Oxford Central Mosque have announced that they are reconsidering their controversial plans to broadcast the Muslim call to prayer.The Cowley mosque found itself at the centre of a national debate over the New Year after having said that they wanted to broadcast the call from loudspeakers across East Oxford.Secretary General Atlaf Hussain has now stated that he will ensure that a proper consultation takes place before any decisions are made. Hussain said, “This [the announcement about the call to prayer] was a decision made on emotions, rather than facts and realities. Proper consultation with our neighbours and the whole of our neighbourhood is necessary to avert anxiety and misunderstandings.“The issue of using loudspeakers is being reviewed and we would like to make it very clear that a proper consultation will be held and only after that will any final decision be made,” he said.
He added that the mosque would not place a time limit on the reconsideration period.The mosque, which is in Manzil Way, Cowley, has also recently elected a new management committee to liaise with local residents and businesses. The Reverend Adam Romanis, Vicar of St Mary and John Church on Cowley Road, said, “I’m not without sympathy for the Muslim call to prayer taking place because we are on opposite sides of Cowley. “Most of the concern that has been expressed locally is from residents living in the immediate vicinity of the area, especially on Divinity Road where the people would hear the broadcasts very clearly. It is not surprising that they have been outspoken about their feelings” he said.Reverend Romanis also expressed his frustration at the way in which the Oxford mosque’s plans have been treated by the national media. He said, “I think the most interesting thing here is the furore that has been created in the national media. This is similarly illustrated by the recent uproar about the Archbishops’ comments on Sharia law. He bravely ventured into an area where there are sensitivities but the way that was represented was in many instances very unhelpful.”However one resident of  Divinity Street, said, “Personally I think they are more than welcome to worship in whatever way they wish as long as they don’t wake me up. “It’s the same as having church bells ringing, so provided it’s not before 8am or after 10pm I don’t mind” they said.
by Rob Pomfret