Student hospitalised by ski accident

An Oxford student has suffered a serious head injury while skiing in the French Alps.

Isla Kennedy, a second year Christ Church student, slipped while trying to cross an icy patch on a cross-country course near the Swiss border. She injured her head and was unconsciousness for a short time before being taken to a hospital in nearby Geneva.

A source explained Kennedy’s current condition. “She is stable and left the intensive care ward on the 1 April. She can now open her eyes for prolonged periods, and likes holding her sister’s hand. She can also respond to simple commands such as being told to raise her arms and legs. She is stable enough to be moved to England now, and her family are waiting for a bed to be made available so she can fly back.”

A close friend of Kennedy and fellow Christ Church student, Rob Amey, added, “Isla was on a particularly challenging cross-country skiing trip when she slipped and injured her head. However, she is currently making good progress in hospital.”

The hospital in Geneva, Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève, confirmed that she was released on 9  April, just over a week after being discharged from intensive care.

Isla Kennedy, a PPE student, has been an active member of her College, having been elected as JCR Freshers’ Rep in her first term at Christ Church. She founded the Oxford University OTC Mountaineering Club last year and is also heavily involved with the group Oxford Women in Politics (OxWip). She edited the society’s magazine, Tone, last term.

Reacting to news of the accident the Vice President of OxWip and friend of Kennedy, Victoria Andrenkova, said, “I am very upset at the news. Isla always seems like the girl who can do anything. I know how much she loves the OTC (Officer Training Corps) and was looking forward to going to the Alps, so it is even more of a shame that this had to happen. Always energetic, spirited and up for a party, she is the kind of person you think this would never happen to. I am in disbelief – but optimistic. I have no doubt that, once she returns, she will be back to her fantabulous, outgoing diva self again! And I can’t wait to have her back.”

In an email to the student body, the JCR President Laura Ellis wrote, “We have received sad news about Isla Kennedy, a 2nd-year PPE student [who] was badly injured on a skiing trip with the OTC over Easter. We won’t be seeing her around College this term, so take all the time you need and get well soon Isla!”

The JCR Vice-President Freya Reeve said, “All the thoughts of the Christ Church JCR are with Isla, we wish her all the best and hope she’s back with us soon.

“She was freshers rep and was actively involved in the JCR, she will be sorely missed until she’s back with us”

The Commanding Officer of the Oxford University OTC, Lieutenant Colonel Nick Channer, commented on the incident. He said, “I can confirm that Isla Kennedy is a member of the Oxford OTC and that she was injured during an overseas ski touring adventurer’s exercise. The accident took place in March in the French Alps and Isla has now been brought back to a hospital in the UK.” He was unable to confirm the precise nature of her injuries.

The Officer Training Corps is a special part of the Territorial Army and consists of 19 contingents of University Officer Training Corps based at universities across the UK. According to its website, its aim is to “promote the image of the army amongst undergraduates and encourage a deeper understanding of the Armed Forces amongst future employers and managers.”