College construction chaos

Three Oxford colleges have failed to complete construction work on schedule, forcing some students to live in temporary accommodation miles from the main campus.

Finalists at Wadham have been disturbed by works, while over-running renovation work at Queen’s and Christ Church has meant students have been relocated elsewhere.

Wadham’s iconic front quad is currently being gutted as part of renovation plans for the college.

“I am worried it’s going to distract me during my finals,” said a fourth-year Wadham student. “If I had known about all this it would have made me think twice about applying to this college.”

“One of the reasons I chose my room was that it was looking out onto the most picturesque part of Wadham, which was obviously now in vain as the place is a building site,” said the student.

“It is a massive hassle – finding somewhere to wash my clothes is not something I need in my final year” they said.

Unlike Queen’s, however, Wadham did not warn its finalists of the disruption or offer them alternative, off-campus accommodation.

Queen’s is having building work done on its back quad, inhabited by finalists, where a kitchen is being replaced.

One Queen’s student, who wished to remain anonymous, said that students have been advised not to bother working in the college library during the evening and told to use the faculty facilities instead.

“The back quad looks absolutely horrible,” said a Queens English finalist, “And it is difficult to work in the library due to the noise. The library has been supplied with earplugs…You do feel cheated out of the Oxford experience.”

Jodie Melbourne, a second year Material Scientist at Queens and entz rep, said, “It’s made organisation of Freshers’ Week and college events difficult. Hopefully the Dean will give and take a bit more in terms of venues.”

“It’s sad. The porters said the college will eventually look great, but most of us aren’t going to be here by the time its all done,” she added.

Additionally, unfinished work on Christ Church’s Blue Boar building means that current second-years are to live on an Iffley Road site instead. Francis Newson, a Christ Church second year, said, “I found out about two weeks ago…It is a pain to be further away from college.” He also noted the inconvenience to students’ social lives, adding, “There is no student bar here so buying drinks will be more expensive.”

Last year, students disadvantaged by building work at Teddy Hall were refunded one week’s rent for the inconvenience. Currently there are no plans to compensate students affected this year.