Debate row kicks off OUSU race

A bitter row has flared up amongst the OUSU presidential candidates just hours after they each confirmed that they would be running against one another in the upcoming election.

Luke Tryl, ex-President of the Oxford Union Society, and former JCR Presidents Stefan Baskerville and John Maher, each wrote open letters to the Cherwell revealing that would be entering the race to become head of the Oxford University Student Union.

The quarrel erupted after Luke Tryl suggested radical changes to the format of presidential debates throughout the term, but his proposals were hastily condemned by fellow candidate John Maher.

‘more informal debates’

In an open letter to the other candidates, Tryl denounced the existing hustings structure as inadequate and proposed that the system be reformed in order to allow better interaction between voters and nominees.

The letter read, “in the past students haven’t known enough about the candidates who are running for election, what they stand for and perhaps most importantly, what makes them different to the other candidates.

“Because of this I want to suggest a series of more informal debates between myself and the other candidates; which would take place across the university and in which any students would be able to attend and ask us full and frank questions.”

However, despite some initial support from fellow candidate Stefan Baskerville, Tryl’s plans have met heavy criticism from rival John Maher.

The ex-JCR President of Keble College denounced Tryl’s proposals, claiming that they were reckless and unconstitutional.

“I feel strongly that the proposals by Luke are both irresponsible and irrational,” said Maher.

“The proposals seem to undermine the OUSU constitution and moreover have the possibility of excluding potential candidates.

He added that he believed Tryl had made “a grave error in judgement” by not first discussing his ideas with the OUSU officials responsible for regulating the election, which is due to take place in 6th week of this Michaelmas term.

‘unaccountable debate’

He said, “the OUSU President is supposed to uphold the OUSU constitution and I believe it would be wholly irresponsible to hold an unofficial and unaccountable debate.

“It would be inappropriate for any candidate to consciously attempt to circumvent these rules.”

When asked for his reaction to Maher’s criticism, Tryl admitted that he had not contacted any of the OUSU executives due to oversee the campaign.

“No, I haven’t spoken to the current OUSU Returning Officer about this,” said the Magdalen College finalist.

“I don’t believe we need to run this past OUSU Council – it’s something we need to agree on now.

“We can’t wait all term for OUSU to debate it or it will take forever – they always tend to over-analyse and over-reflect without actually getting down to do anything.”

However, despite the hostile reaction from Maher, Tryl’s plans have received the full support of Stefan Baskerville.

The former JCR President of University College admitted that he agreed that the amount of engagement between students and candidates needed to be improved.

“I would like to work with Luke and other candidates to make this happen,” he said.

“My suggestion is to hold three debates in fourth, fifth and sixth weeks, with the final debate on the day before polling starts, Monday of sixth.

“I think this will give unprecedented opportunities for students to engage with the election this term.”

The full list of presidential candidates for OUSU President is not yet known as the nomination period does not officially open until October 30th.

Tryl also sent his letter to Joel Mullan, the former JCR President of St Peter’s College who rumour has it is also set to join the presidential race.

Mullan has yet to reply to Tryl’s letter or comment on his candidacy.

Madeline Stanley, OUSU Returning Officer, confirmed that she had not been sent the letter or consulted at all about the proposals.