Pembroke accused of post-match violence

A Pembroke student has allegedly punched a porter from St John’s cCollege, Cambridge, after losing a rugby match last week.

Earlier in the day, Pembroke had been beaten decisively by St John’s but had joined their rivals in the evening after their black-tie dinner.

A third year from Pembroke, who wished to remain anonymous said, “the entire team were drunk and the bop was closed early as a result of drunken and rowdy behaviour.”

Varsity, the Cambridge student newspaper, reported that an Oxford student punched a porter, but the third year from Pembroke doubted this.

She said, “I know that someone definitely tried to punch a porter, but whether or not they actually made contact is unsure.”

There was no other damage caused by Pembroke rugby team, but their behaviour still marred the event for many other students.

Tom Chigbo, JCR president for St John’s said, “One or two people were involved in the incident, it’s not clear whether he landed the punch.”

He continued, “A couple of people got really drunk and irresponsbile.”

However, Chigbo added, “There isn’t some kind of war between John’s and Pembroke, but Johnians and quite disappointed that this happened.”

Dr Helen Small, the dean for Pembroke said, “I am currently undertaking disciplinary action against the rugby team, but I can’t say any more than that as the students have yet to be contacted.”

Caroline Daly, Pembroke JCR President, was unavailable for comment.