Arrested student receives £1,500 compensation

A student from St Anne’s has been awarded £1,500 following his “humiliating” arrest for throwing a bottle of water to a protester earlier this year.

The chief constable of Thames Valley Police apologised to the student this week for the “inconvenience” of the arrest, and offered compensation as an out of court settlement.

Jonathon Leighton, a second year, was arrested and handcuffed, and held in a police station for several hours, on the 13th January. He had his fingerprints, DNA and photographs taken, and was released the next day at 5.15am.

Leighton was arrested after he tried to throw a bottle of water to eco-protester Gabriel Chamberlain, who was protesting against the proposed development of Bonn Square.

Leighton has called his treatment “humiliating”.

He said, “the fact that I was handcuffed and held in a police cell is humiliating.

“I wouldn’t wish it to happen to anybody else, which is why I think it is crucial to explore legal avenues and hold the police accountable for their actions.

“I believe it was right to pursue the legal channel and tackle these injustices when they arise, or they will happen more often.”

Leighton stated that he would be donating the money to “Thames Valley Climate Action”, an environmental action group which he was a part of, and that the payout would be used in future campaigns.

Leighton stated that this should provide adequate justification to the taxpayer for the money he received from his payout.

Local campaigner Sarah Horne was also involved in the Bonn Square protests and has spoken out in support of Leighton’s payout.

She said, “unfortunately many people experience unlawful arrests, violence, and other oppression when they take peaceful direct action on climate change and other environmental and social issues.

“Hopefully this result will remind the police that they are meant to be protecting the public, not harassing peaceful protesters.”

Leighton said, “I opposed the way that [Chamberlain] was dealt with by the council.

“I felt that it was very wrong they were stopping giving him food and water. I was more up in arms about that than the felling of trees.”

Leighton stated that he was “very pleased” with the result, but nevertheless stated that the financial payout had not been his main priority.

“It’s not so much about the money as about justice. What would have been justice for me would be if I hadn’t been arrested in the first place.

“I wish there was a way I could complain to the police and be sure that my complaint would be taken on board, and the appropriate disciplinary action followed. But I couldn’t be sure of this.”

After realising that he had grounds to make a legal complaint, Leighton’s solicitor wrote the Thames Valley Police to inform them of Leighton’sintension to make a claim through court.

Within three months, the police responded that they would be prepared to offer an out of court settlement.
At the time, Leighton stated that he police had “abused their powers” and has since insisted that his arrest was politically-motivated.

He said, “what I experienced was blatant political policing; my actions were not so much against the law as against the police.”