Government slams Radcliffe plans

The government’s advisor on architecture, urban design and public space has urged the University to scrap its current plan for the Radcliffe Infirmary redevelopment scheme, criticising it as being “wholly inadequate”.

The Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE) warned that, “unless a thorough reappraisal of the master plan is undertaken…we have little confidence that a high quality outcome can result,” claiming that the plans were simply re-hashes of earlier designs.

The review of the University’s current plans for the half a billion pound redevelopment of the Radcliffe Infirmary site, which will provide a new library and teaching facilities, urged the Oxford City Council not to endorse the scheme in its current form and accused the University of failing to use the opportunity to be more innovative in its redevelopment plans.

Construction is planned to start next spring and the first buildings are expected to open in late 2011.

The planning document was developed by planning specialist Turnberry Consulting and was adapted from previous designs by Rafael Viñoly Architects (RVA).

Accusing the University of simply re-hashing a previous scheme, CABE‘s report said, “this document fundamentally misunderstands the purpose of a master plan[…]

“Rather than promoting key principles, fresh thinking and innovative design responses, it appears to post-rationalise elements of a previous scheme which had failed to meet the long-term needs of the university or adequately reflect the Oxford context.”

CABE have asked the University to break from the Viñoly scheme, noting “key shortcomings” in its proposal.

CABE also disagreed with the plans for an enclosed campus, arguing that the site should be open and “permeable to the public at large.” 

In response to the review, an RVA spokesman denied the architect’s responsibility for the plan criticised by the government. “The review was of a planning document produced by the planning consultants, not Rafael Viñoly Architects,” they said.

“This document was not intended for a CABE design review. RVA presented the master plan to CABE in early 2008. It is due to go to committee shortly and has a recommendation for approval by the planning officers.”

A University of Oxford spokesperson defended their current plans and both the firms they worked with on the plans. “Rafael Viñoly architects were selected to develop a masterplan for the Radcliffe Infirmary Site in 2005. In consultation with the University, the City Council, the University’s professional team including planning consultants, Turnberry Consulting Ltd, have produced a masterplan document which provides a framework for future development on the site,” the University said.

“Since it is anticipated the site will provide expansion space for many of the University’s activities over the next 15 to 20 years, it is important that the masterplan should provide such guidance for the future.

“The masterplan was discussed at the City’s strategic planning committee on Monday evening. At present various buildings are being designed and planned for the site.

“These include a new Maths building, a new humanities centre and library, and a new health centre.

“All of these are in the early stages of planning and design and will be brought forward to the City Council’s planning committee to obtain the necessary approvals, over the course of the next year.”

The Radcliffe Infirmary redevelopment scheme has been described as the University’s most ambitious project in recent history and one of its biggest investments to date.