Two Oxford students arrested for blockade of Stansted airport in climate protest.

Two Oxford students were among climate change activists who blockaded Stansted Airport during the early hours of the 8th December 2008. Lucie Kinchin, a second-year English student from Pembroke College, and Jonathan Leighton, a second-year Computer Scientist from St Anne’s College, took part in the protest against the government’s decision to allow the creation of a second runway at Stansted.

At 3am the 57 activists of the anti-aviation group Plane Stupid broke through the fence and onto the runway, which was closed for maintenance. According to one of the activists, Lily Kember, 21, the group used bolt cutters to cut their way through to 50 meters from the runway. They then chained themselves together on the runway and used security fencing in an attempt to create a “fort”. A spokeswoman said they planned to continue the blockade for as long as possible to prevent the runway from opening.

Although flights restarted at 8am, the protest caused the cancellation of numerous flights. Ryanair cancelled a total of 56 flights in and out of the airport. Passengers were told there was “limited availability” on all Ryanair flights for the next three days and that they should go home and re-book.

According to Plane Stupid, the disruption to flights would prevent “the release of thousands of tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere”.

Jonathan Leighton justified the demonstration, arguing, “Stansted’s main business is in short-haul flights and these cause by far the most environmental damage per mile…and current government policy completely ignores the urgency of this issue.”

Lucie Kinchin said, “The decision on whether Heathrow will have a third runway is imminent, and it is moments like these in which people should be inspired to take action…Ours is the last generation capable of preventing catastrophic climate change, which is why I was a part of this action.”

However, the Society of British Aerospace Companies criticised the protest. Spokesman, Matthew Knowles, said: “These protesters are ignoring the reality around aviation and climate change. Flight numbers have increased at Stansted but noise nuisance around the airport has actually decreased and aircraft are 70% more fuel efficient than they were 50 years ago.”

Ryanair said it wanted an investigation “as to why the BAA Stansted security has once again failed to keep Stansted secure and open to the travelling public”.

However, Mark Davidson, a spokesman for Stansted Airport, refuted claims that the airport’s security was not adequate. He said Stansted’s fencing was acceptable for an airport. He added, “If there are any lessons to be learnt from this incident, we are more than happy to take them on.”

As for the protest itself, he said, “While we respect everyone’s right to protest, breaking the law is unacceptable and unnecessary. There are other different legal channels through which one can protest.”

Students have also disagreed with the way in which the protesters behaved. Ali Kyrke-Smith, a Worcester first-year, said, “Whilst I sympathise in part with their motives, I believe that such actions make their views look like those of extremists, marginalising people who might otherwise share them, and therefore I do not believe that such a protest is effective.”

A police spokesperson said 50 people were arrested for aggravated trespass, three for trying to enter a restricted area and four on conspiracy to commit a public nuisance.