Thirst Lodge lap-dance plans binned

Thirst Lodge, a popular nightclub and cocktail bar, has abandoned its plans to host lap-dancing nights after mass opposition from residents and students.

The club withdrew its application for a lap-dancing licence after the parishioners of nearby St Ebbe’s Church voiced outrage at the proposal.

Members of the church, whose entrance is 20 feet from the club, have also accused Thirst of failing to advertise the plans properly, meaning they had no chance to raise their concerns during the council’s period of consultation.

Rector Vaughan Roberts said that the lap-dancing would be “unacceptable not only next to our building but anywhere in our city.”

Regulars at the church echoed the rector’s disgust at the plans. A Hertford student attending St Ebbe’s said, “it’s horrible. I find it really weird. It’s just a massive juxtaposition to walk out of the lap-dancing club and then see the church.”

Rachel Cummings, the OUSU Women’s Officer, expressed her condemnation of the application. She said, “lap-dancing is abhorrent; it’s an activity which presents women as sexual items existing for the entertainment of men.

“Any club holding a lap-dancing license needs to recognise that this activity is degrading. Many customers will no longer feel comfortable attending the club on any of its nights.”

This view has been echoed by Christian groups. Claire Greig, vice president of the Oxford Inter-Collegiate Christian Union said, “we are saddened by the fact that the Thirst Lodge is hosting these nights which involve practices degrading to women, and we hope that the license will not be granted.”

William Iles, 1st year PPE student said, “Thirst Lodge is one of my favorite clubs in Oxford. I was really relieved that is not going to compromise its reputation amongst students by becoming seedy.”

The venue had applied for a variation in its license in early January, asking to offer lap-dancing as part of its entertainment. Clubs doing this must advertise the move both in local papers and on the premises.

Abrahams added, “we learnt of the story very late, we heard it one day after the last day of objections. The ward councilor e-mailed me on the 19th, the day before the deadline informing me about this. However, I picked it up on the 20th, the deadline.”

He noted that he was “worried about the type of people it [the venue] will attract.” This led him to contact the police for consultation.

Rector Vaughan Roberts said that “very strong opposition to the application would have been expressed if it had been known to the public.”

After sparking outrage among the local community, the venue decided to withdraw the application on the morning of the 27th of January. Its spokesperson said, “we’ve withdrawn the application after consultation with the public and our neighbours from the church.”

A spokesperson for Greene King, the license holders of Thirst, said, “the licencee and Greene King have held discussions and decided to withdraw the licence application for the Thirst Lodge. No further applications of this type will be submitted for the pub.”

Mark Abrahams expressed his relief at the withdrawal of application saying, “we’re very grateful that this has ended like this. I think the last session of council which was supposed to be on Thursday is being withdrawn now.”

The decision about the cancellation of the licensing hearing was confirmed by the Oxford City Council.