Cultural diversity seminar praised as "worthwhile"

Oxford University U21 rugby team attended a cultural diversity course last week, following investigations into their infamous “Bring a fit Jew” and “Safari” themed socials.

Members of the team sparked outrage after players were told to bring a “fit” Jewish woman to a team dinner last term. The following week, pictures emerged of some of the same team blacked-up and wearing loincloths at an Africa-themed bop.

After proctors’ investigations, the U21s attended a three hour-long seminar-style session at St Anne’s college last Thursday lead by the University’s Diversity and Equality unit.

“We basically just had a talk,” said one of the players, who had attended the allegedly racist and anti-Semitic socials.

“There was a woman who told us how she felt she had been discriminated against in the past, and how the people who did it to her didn’t even realise it was discrimination.”

Another squad member said he believed that the team had benefited from the course, “I think we all learnt something.”

“I understand from the members of the team present that the evening was successful,” said Steve Hill, director of the Oxford University Rugby Football club.

He praised the proctor’s decision to send the squad on the course, saying, “it was definitely worthwhile.”

All members of the squad that played at Twickenham for the Varsity match last year were obliged to attend, whether or not they were present at the socials in question.

However, some students have questioned why the training was necessary. One Wadham undergraduate said, “as a member of an ethnic minority, I find it ridiculous that twenty-one year olds at Oxford University need to be told what discrimination means.”

But she conceded that the exercise would have been worthwhile if it meant an end to potentially offensive behaviour from the squad. “It’s great if they felt they have learnt something,” she said.

But others have raised concerns that the seminar could become a badge of honour for the team. One LMH finalist said, “I think a cultural diversity lesson will just make the team think that their behaviour is even more of a joke – it will probably just become a legendary event for them to boast about.”

She added, “the team should learn about anti-Semitism in history.”